The Queensland Government has achieved a great result in controlling infection rates in Queensland and despite the unfortunate community transmissions in Victoria, the medical advice supports the announced staged return to some normality.
“Interstate tourism contributed $9.2 billion to the Queensland economy last year, incomes for 240,000 employees and tens of thousands of business in every part of Queensland. This announcement by the Premier will bring back a new ray of hope to all those people and their families,” Mr Gschwind said.
The government’s prompt actions in managing the health crisis and the industry’s commitment to develop effective COVID-safe plans and practices has put Queensland in a strong position to work towards the recovery.
“Queensland has the highest number of COVID-Clean businesses and has successfully implemented the Queensland Tourism and Accommodation Industry COVID Safe Business Plan. We are confident as an industry that operators will provide a safe travel experience.”
In addition to the opening of borders on 10 July, Stage 3 will see other restrictions eased early on Friday 3 July with an increase for the number of people allowed in venues.
Larger hospitality venues will have no limits on numbers providing the one person per four square metre capacity rule applies. For smaller businesses the four-square metre rule will be relaxed, allowing up to 50 customers for a venue below 200 square metres in size, provided they keep a register of customers.
With the announcement today, the tourism industry can take another step in its long road to recovery, helping communities across Queensland.
“The tourism industry has now been given the opportunity to tap into the interstate winter season and support Queensland in rebuilding its future.
“With all of Queensland’s destinations accessible again, we hope bookings will stream in, allowing tourism operators to get their businesses going again,” Mr Gschwind said.